Sunday, June 8, 2014

Subterranean




Subterranean One, Oil on wood, 10" x 10" x 2"
Subterranean Two, Oil on wood, 10" x 10" x 2"

These two paintings are based on a series I did at The Vermont Studio Center in  2010.
(see four images below)
I was trying to interpret in oil paint on wood what I did with watercolor, gouache and ink on paper. 
The original four pieces were done from drawings of aspen tree trunks.
When I turned the paper 90 degrees to the left and all of a sudden the drawings lost their tree-ness.
The edge of the trunk became a horizon line and the shapes and forms were underneath the earth!
I imagine these as things growing underground, thus the name Subterranean for the series.
I recently read an article about the abstract painter Mark Grotjahn, whose wonderful Butterfly paintings I saw at the new Blum and Poe Gallery in NYC.  About those paintings, he said "I found that rotating it (the canvas 90 degrees) took all the landscape out, so it became a non-objective painting.























No comments: