Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Nature and Abstraction




Micro and Macro

Walking around looking at nature in the Rocky Mountains gives me much visual information to consider using in my paintings. In the works in my previous post you can see patterns that come directly from natural objects like dried seed pods. The movement of branches in the woods really makes me want to draw those lines and how they interact and intersect in space.
Nature is predictable in the sense that season follows season, plants bloom at certain times.
It's our interaction with nature that brings surprising and unexpected pleasure.

The character Frenhofer in Balzac's said "Nature provides a succession of rounded outlines that run into one another"
I certainly see that every day everywhere I look.
and
 "It is not the language of painters but the language of nature, which we should listen to, the feeling for the things themselves; for reality is more important than the feeling for pictures"

I mostly agree with this quote of Vincent Van Gogh
but I think a lot of the language of painters too.

No comments: